Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Localized pain/swelling and pregnant.

nelly145 - Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:43 pm

I'm 22 years old and pregnant. I woke up with a very localized area of swelling, redness, and pain right above my right knee. It is the front of my knee, about an inch above my patella and towards the left/inner side of the knee. The area is puffy and red, and I can feel a slight hardness under the quarter sized area. There is no pain unless I walk on it, which produces a very sharp localized area of pain whenever I put weight on it. Taking weight off takes the pain away. I am concerned about the possibility of it being a blood clot since I am pregnant (7 weeks) and have been sleeping/lying down a lot lately. Does this sound consistent with DVT or is it most likely related to another condition? Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:09 pm

User avatar Hello,
Because the symptoms are consistent with deep vein thrombosis (DVT) you should call your doctor right away. It may not be that, but only a pulled muscle or something but it is not worth risking a serious, untreated blood clot.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us