Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Diseases of the Aorta

Question: Tumor in the Aorta

concernedson - Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:58 am

My father is being tested for a Tumor in the Aorta, next to the heart. He has had Pancretic Cancer 2 years ago, currently treated for Prostate Cancer and now this. I have searched the net trying to find something on this and had no luck. I hope you can shed light on this for me and him. Is there such a thing? How serious could it be? Also, what treatments are available? We are awaiting an MRI test and other blood work, but the results are slow going.

Please help.

Thank you,
Concerned Son
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:41 am

User avatar Dear Concerned Son,

Primary aortic tumours are rare. i am not sure exactly what was seen and by what type of imaging studies.

This could be a metastasis (spread) from the cancers that your father had before whether the pancreatic or the prostate. It could also be spread from a yet to be discovered tumour somewhere else in the body like lung cancer or melanoma.

If a biopsy is necessary, your dad and his general condition is going to dictate whether to do or not. If he is healthy and if this was another cancer and his health can stand whatever treatment might be needed, then a biopsy can be done. If his general condition is not good enough for cancer treatment or he is going to refuse treatment (let's say because of previous experiences), then no need for the biopsy.

The mri is a good modality of investigation.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and please keep me updated.