Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Blood pressure and h20 intake.

debrann222 - Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:35 pm

My 'normal' blood pressure with 40mg Lisinopril and 25mg HCTZ is 140/90. I just started a diet and increased my water consumption from practically nothing to 64-80 oz a day. After the 2nd day, I fainted 6 times and my blood pressure was 76/45. I went to the Dr and he told me to take half my usual lisin. dose and see what happens. I've been monitoring my BP for 2 days now and the highest its gone is 115/75. Could this be due to the sudden increase in water? I've also cut down on adding salt to foods.

Thank-you!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:36 pm

User avatar Hello Debrann222,

Often, an increase in water may actually increase blood pressure; however, decreasing salt intake can sometimes have dramatic effects on blood pressure reduction. Exercise also can reduce blood pressure.

Overall, I suspect that your healthier lifestyle is having beneficial effects on your blood pressure. I would add that not many people actually accomplish lifestyle changes to help improve their health (which is why so many people end up on high dose medications) so I applaud your accomplishments.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us