Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Sudden stabbing chest pain

amber_paradisepools - Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:33 pm

I have had sharp stabbing chest pain for the past 4 days, they are very spuratic and I am wondering what I should do. I am 27, when I was about 6 yrs old I was diagnosed with a hear murmur would this have anything to do with it?
 Dr. A. Madia - Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:24 am

User avatar Hi Amber,

Heart murmurs are frequent and of various kind. many of these murmurs are 'innocent' or functional and nor related to any organic heart disease. Some of the murmurs are associated with either valvular heart disease or a congenital heart disease. In children these murmurs abound. As age advances most of theses innocent murmurs disappear.

In a child when a murmur is detected, the concerned doctor usually investigates it and determines if it is innocent or serious. You were diagnosed with a heart murmur at 6 but you have not provided any other detail so I presume it was an innocent murmur.

Now at 27, the type of chest pain you have should have nothing to do with that murmur. The shooting type of chest pain is characteristic of some intrathoracic muscle pull, a muscular chest pain or even a push from the abdomen due to 'gas' or a dyspepsia. You may try out some OTC pain reliever along with an anatcid and if not better, kindly see your doctor.

I am sure you will be alright within no time!

Apurva