Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Sharp pain under right side rib

spooze - Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:44 am

i feel a sharp pain under my right side rib. i don't smoke or do drugs or drink. i am a bit over wieght but not much. and am currently on a diet. the pain hurts when i take dep breathes and and the bottom of my breath. sometimes when i cough also. its the weekend so i cant really see a doctor. i am waiting till monday. anyone have any ideas.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:50 am

User avatar Dear Spooze,

This sounds more like a inflammation of the membrane surrounding the lung (called the pleura) and the condition is referred to as pleurisy or pleuritis.

This could be caused commonly by a virus. It can also be caused by other infectious and non-infectious causes.

Treatment is to give anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen and the like to aliveate the pain.

Keep the appointment with your doctor.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and keep me posted.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us