Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Leg pain

girlie - Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:45 am

I have had leg pain in mostly my left leg (about mid-thigh) for about two weeks. I am not overweight, by means of my BMI, but I am on ortho evera “the patch.” This week I noticed a small “bruise” in the same location as the pain. When I touch it, it does not hurt, but it is round like a bruise. At first, my leg itched as well, but it no longer itches, it just hurts. Also up until yesterday the pain was only at night, now the pain in persisting into the day. I also had taken two weeks off from working out (5days a week) so now I today I was going to walk at the gym to see if the blood flow would help the pain. I have put pillows under my legs at night. Also I am having a little bit of pain in my chest, near my collar bone by my neck as well as near the bottom of my rib cage. I have read about DVT, but since I can see that I some sort of varicose vein like systems in my legs (meaning it looks like I have some on my legs) should I be concerned? Also my age is 21, I have never smoked, no surgeries or illnesses or prolonged bed rest (I have just been much less active). I also have had to blood tests for unrelated issues in the past two weeks, would they have seen anything there? Any help would be great.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:35 am

User avatar Hi girlie,
A DVT can not be detected by a blood test. It can, however, be detected by an ultrasound. My questions are: does the pain become worse when walking? Have you been short of breath? My concern is since you are on birth control, blood clots can be a side effect regardless of age. Many other conditions could as well be considered but I would suggest that you make an appointment with your family doctor to have this evaluated. If a blood clot is suspected DO NOT massage the area or increase physical activity as this will cause additional complications. I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us