Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Sudden spikes in heart rate during exercise

MarindaJvR - Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:09 am

I am a 27 year old female with no history of heart or any other deceases. I started jogging a few months ago. A while back I had a throat infection and I went to gym shortly after recovering (last week). My heartrate spiked at 218 while running on the treadmill, I only noticed it when I returned from gym and checked my maximum heart rate on my heart rate monitor. This morning I was running on the treadmill at gym and I was busy looking at my heart rate on my heart rate monitor when all of a sudden it spiked at 211, moments before it was at 164-169. I stopped running immediately and my heart rate come down to around 140 within seconds. My heartrate is normally around 155 on average during a 5km run with a maximum of around 180. It these spikes (211/218) in heart rate commen during exercise or is there something wrong?
 Dr. A. Madia - Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:08 pm

While exercising one allows the heart rate to race up to 220-age. For you this would mean 193. Crossing this limit is not harmful, but then the exercise becomes anaerobic and the body gains in muscle strenght more.

However sudden jump to a rate of 218 or 211 is something to think about. One reason could be your recovery phase from an infection. Post viral infection asthenia is a known condition and could lead to faster heart rates when exercising.

Another possibility to keep in mind is Atrail tachycardia or Supraventricular tachtcardia [SVT]. Especially so since it goes to this level suddenly.

A consultation with a cardiologist to rule this out would be in order in my opinion.

Apurva