Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Cardiac evaluation. What tests is likely to be done?

saintj - Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:40 pm

I have been asked by my insurance comapny to have a Cardiac Evaluation before I can be cleared for bariatric surgery. My previous cardiac history shows only moderate left ventricular hypertrophy during an echocardiogram about 1 year previously, with no apparent symptoms except periodic bigeminy. My insurance company refuses to tell me what they will accept in the way of tests. I assume they just want a doctor to sign off on me. I'm 58, obese, BP of 130/85 treated by Avilide 300/12/5.

If I go to a cardiologist, what tests is he likely to want to do? There must be some sort of standard for this type of thing. Thanks.

saintj
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:58 pm

User avatar Dear Saintj,

You will most probably have a physical exam and probably get an ekg and you will be getting a medication before and after cardiac surgery of the beta blockers group most probably.

If the cardiologist suspects that you might have coronary disease, a stress test might be needed.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us