Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Left sided chest pain possibly multiple causes

Terrific - Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:02 am

I'm a 19 year old male 6'1", 260 pounds
My grandfather and aunt have diabetes.
Im not allergic to anything and I don't take any medicine

At about 13 years of age I was playing tennis, I was super-excited due to a heated game, all of a sudden my heart starting beating really rapid it lasted for 20-30 seconds and it stopped abruptly and started to beat regularly . Ever since it seems I've had chest problems, for instance when I was at work I was carrying a large stack of boxes and I was about to drop them, but tried to catch them and my heart started rapidly beating, lasted 20-30 seconds then abruptly stopped.

At age 15 I had a severe case of appendisits, large amount of puss were removed from inside me and I had to use a breatheing machine twice a day which I think expanded my lungs and they also tested how hard I could breathe outwards.

At 17 years of age I was doing dips at 24 hour fitness which puts a lot of outward load on your sternum and ribs, I was coming upwards and felt 2 of my ribs push outwards and I dropped to the ground, not because it hurt, because it was unexpected and gave a really weird tearing sensation. Went to the doctor and said If I have any more problems they will have to cut the end of my rib off, if i remember correctly

Now these are the problems I am currently having. My chest itches and sometimes is tingly on the left side. In the same spot it tingles I get pain 2-3 times a day that lasts for random amounts of time, some days I don't get any pain. This pain sometimes radiates to back which is in the same spot as the front just in the back. Sometimes when I breathe in really deep or completely depress my lungs I get a sharp pain on the left side of my chest. Now for my rapid heart beats I don't believe my rapid heart beat is the cause of anxiety because I know what anxiety feels like.

As we speak I am having a chest pain spell, It started during intercourse after my heart beat a really hard single beat. It is causing pain on the left side of my chest and back, I will get a sharp pain on the left side of my chest if I breathe in too deep or depress my lungs completely.

I think there might be a big problem with my heart, all i do is feel my heart beat all day long and dread that something might be wrong with it, I'm deathly afraid to go to the doctor because I am afraid of what they are going to tell me is wrong. Please give me some advice so I can get this out of my mind.
 bobbie - Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:05 pm

Although I'm not a doctor, I would say you should go and get checked out by one, what do you have to lose.
 Dr. A. Madia - Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:43 am

User avatar Hi,

Extreme competitive sport puts a heavy stress on your body and causes a huge amount of tachycaria-fast pulse. Add to that adrenalin secretion which occures in competitive sport and adds to the tachycardia. This may lead to a flutter sensation, a different kind of abnormal tachycardia and even syncope.

Having passed through an episode you might become a little sensitized and may dread the occurrence which lead to tachycardia in itself.

However, don't have and escapist attitude, you must get in touch with a doctor and rule out any form of rhythm disturbances that may be occurring.

take care,

Apurva

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us