Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Left sided chest pain possibly multiple causes

Terrific - Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:02 am

I'm a 19 year old male 6'1", 260 pounds
My grandfather and aunt have diabetes.
Im not allergic to anything and I don't take any medicine

At about 13 years of age I was playing tennis, I was super-excited due to a heated game, all of a sudden my heart starting beating really rapid it lasted for 20-30 seconds and it stopped abruptly and started to beat regularly . Ever since it seems I've had chest problems, for instance when I was at work I was carrying a large stack of boxes and I was about to drop them, but tried to catch them and my heart started rapidly beating, lasted 20-30 seconds then abruptly stopped.

At age 15 I had a severe case of appendisits, large amount of puss were removed from inside me and I had to use a breatheing machine twice a day which I think expanded my lungs and they also tested how hard I could breathe outwards.

At 17 years of age I was doing dips at 24 hour fitness which puts a lot of outward load on your sternum and ribs, I was coming upwards and felt 2 of my ribs push outwards and I dropped to the ground, not because it hurt, because it was unexpected and gave a really weird tearing sensation. Went to the doctor and said If I have any more problems they will have to cut the end of my rib off, if i remember correctly

Now these are the problems I am currently having. My chest itches and sometimes is tingly on the left side. In the same spot it tingles I get pain 2-3 times a day that lasts for random amounts of time, some days I don't get any pain. This pain sometimes radiates to back which is in the same spot as the front just in the back. Sometimes when I breathe in really deep or completely depress my lungs I get a sharp pain on the left side of my chest. Now for my rapid heart beats I don't believe my rapid heart beat is the cause of anxiety because I know what anxiety feels like.

As we speak I am having a chest pain spell, It started during intercourse after my heart beat a really hard single beat. It is causing pain on the left side of my chest and back, I will get a sharp pain on the left side of my chest if I breathe in too deep or depress my lungs completely.

I think there might be a big problem with my heart, all i do is feel my heart beat all day long and dread that something might be wrong with it, I'm deathly afraid to go to the doctor because I am afraid of what they are going to tell me is wrong. Please give me some advice so I can get this out of my mind.
 bobbie - Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:05 pm

Although I'm not a doctor, I would say you should go and get checked out by one, what do you have to lose.
 Dr. A. Madia - Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:43 am

Extreme competitive sport puts a heavy stress on your body and causes a huge amount of tachycaria-fast pulse. Add to that adrenalin secretion which occures in competitive sport and adds to the tachycardia. This may lead to a flutter sensation, a different kind of abnormal tachycardia and even syncope.

Having passed through an episode you might become a little sensitized and may dread the occurrence which lead to tachycardia in itself.

However, don't have and escapist attitude, you must get in touch with a doctor and rule out any form of rhythm disturbances that may be occurring.

take care,

Apurva