Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Congenital Heart Disease in Adults

Question: ASD? vague heart murmur

JRaley - Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:05 pm

I am a med student, which seems to predispose me to hypochondria; however, I was diagnosed with a "heart murmur" at birth. I am from a rural area and few tests if any were done because I was asymptomatic. Now that I am in medical school I can tell you that I have a systolic heart murmur, am still asymptomatic, and am an avid fitness person. When I palpate my heart I can feel it beating very strong in my chest, but I am very lean, thin, and fit. Occassionally my heart beat is irregular just as every other person in my family. It never rasies and I can't say that I have ever had chest pain. two years ago I had a curbside echo done upon a surgeon friend's suggestion. My questions are these: 1. should I be worried?, 2. what about the strong pmi and palpability in several areas?, 3. echo was "normal", but I never met the cardiologist, if you saw my echo without seeing me would you be confident in it? I appreciate your time.
JR
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:26 pm

User avatar Dear jRaley,

Atrial septal defects don't produce murmurs, it's ventricular septal defects actually that cause a systolic murmur. Other conditions that might cause a systolic murmur in young age is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and congenital aortic and pulmonary stenosis.

Since the echocardiogram did not show any of these conditions which are readily identifiable in most of the cases, then you don't have them.

My recommendation is for you to be seen by a health care professional to decide the exact nature of the murmur.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.