Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Tobacco and Cardiovascular Endurance

armyjoe - Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi, I've been using smokeless tobacco for about a year now. I know the risks of using it, and I am currently trying to quit. I am also a runner, and have noticed that my endurance has started to suffer. Could using smokeless tobacco have any relation to my decreasing endurance during my runs?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:04 pm

Yes, for a number of reasons the smokeless tobacco could, over an extended time, affect your endurance adversely, even though at first it may have seemed to enhance it somewhat (as it does in some cases). Between the increased load it puts on the cardiovascular system (same as any form of tobacco, though not necessarily as suddenly), and the risks for damage to other parts of the body (including a very high risk for cancers of the mouth, tongue and lip) I would encourage you to aggressively work to break this habit.

Best of luck to you.