Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Left upper arm numbness

kkw - Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:26 pm

I woke up 4 hours ago and the upper part of my left arm was numb, with a burning sensation. I have tried rubbing it, exercising the arm, my neck, and it continues to be numb. I don't really have chest discomfort, but there is a burning sensation in my chest. I have been very tired the last couple of days. I am a type 2 diabetic since 2004, and take Actos Plus Metformin 5/500 daily. After I was diagnosed I experienced some numbness in my legs, which has finally gone away. My blood sugars are fairly controlled, but could probably be better on my part. I don't have HTN. I am 46 years old, overweight, but otherwise healthy. I do smoke some, but am trying to quit.
I don't know what it could be. Any suggestions?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:17 am

While the most likely explanation for this would be the simplest -- awkward sleeping position with compression of a nerve or blood vessel, there was also some chest discomfort involved, and there is a history of type II diabetes, overweight, smoking and HTN. These in combination with the fact that women often have cardiac symptoms present in an atypical fashion, I think you would be wise to rule out cardiac disease, even though my first instinct is still that this was probably due to sleeping position and nerve or artery compression while sleeping. I think your mind would be a lot easier if you knew you had no active heart disease.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:19 am

User avatar I hope you are feeling better. Please keep us updated.