Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: Pregnancy and palpitations

bella13 - Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:42 pm

Hi~ I"am pregnant with my second child and have been experiencing quite a few heart palpitations throughout the day.I have a history of MVP/heart murmur and have had no complications because of them.I"am athletic and never feel any palps while active and have no shortness of breath or pain.These are more annoying than anything else.I would have no anxiety if it weren"t for the palps.My ob gyn says that they are perfectly normal due to the increasing blood volume and hormones of pregnancy.Should I run to the ER or ride this out?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:38 pm

Your doctor is absolutely correct on this one. Palpitations are fairly common anyway in the general population, and much moreso with MVP. Add pregnancy and they become almost unavoidable and are completely normal. Only if you were to experience significant symptoms (prolonged, rapid, forceful beating and/or lightheadedness) would you require any sort of medical intervention, and even then it's usually just a hormone/crowding issue. However, with symptoms such as I just described, it becomes more difficult to ignore, especially in pregnancy, and there are things that can be done to minimize that sort of thing if it should take place, which is fairly unlikely.

I certainly hope this is helpful and that you have an otherwise uneventful pregnancy. Congratulations!