Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Cardiology Treatment Modalities

Question: How many stents can be placed inside each other?

babs16662 - Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:57 pm

My husband has four cardiac stents, two are butted up against each other with two stents inside them butted against each other. He is scheduled to have a cardiac cath next Wednesday. If his current stents are blocked again, is it possible to put another stent inside the ones already in place or would a bypass have to be performed?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:43 pm

While it is impossible to say without having all the facts and images to evaluate, it would seem likely that if there is now further obstruction, bypass surgery would be indicated. However, if there is only one vessel involved, bypass is rarely pursued; rotoblade procedures are becoming less common and probably wouldn't apply in this case, so I guess the best answer is that if the blood supply provided by this artery must be improved, bypass surgery would be the most likely option.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you and to your husband.