Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: No Pedal Pulses

bygat88 - Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:51 pm

Went to a hospitsl, because I lost the use of my left leg, after several hours and several test, including an EKG, all was presented normal, except, that I had no pedal pulses, and was sent home, after talking wit my sister, she said this was serious, and I should get a second oppinion.

Do I need to worry about this, and get a seconard oppinion.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:22 pm

During the period during which you lost use of your left leg, was the leg numb? Was it weak or totally non-functional? Also, having "no pedal pulses", is this on both sides or just the side where the loss of leg function occured?

There are any number of potential causes of this, some of them serious. While not everyone has equally palpable pedal pulses on both sides, usually at least one side is easily palpated. Your sister is correct in that this could represent a serious problem, either involving a nerve in the involved leg or, more likely, a disturbance of the blood supply to the affected leg, somewhere along the course of the left femoral artery. It definitely deserves further study, at least.

Hopefully this is helpful to you.