Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: pAIN UNDER LEFT SIDE OF CHEST AND LEFT ARM

satyak76 - Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:22 pm

Hi ,

I am 32 years old. Working in software development from past 5 years.
6- 8 months back : I had a pain under my chest (left side), swollen a bit. As I can see the difference when I look at myself in mirror.

The pain is mild in left arm and under chest when I rest at left side some king\d of discomfort while sleping.

I don’t get proper sleep .. I donno why ……

I feel pain at the complete path nerve connected to the 4th finger from the thumb to shoulder.

Suggest me what could be the reason behind the Left arm and pain under chest left side , and also suggest me do I need to consult cardiology doctor or neurology or general physician .

Satya
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:16 pm

User avatar Hello Satya -

While the pain sounds like it involves the left ulnar nerve pathway, the most prudent path would be to first rule out cardiac problems. While the visible swelling at the focal point of the pain suggests this to be non-cardiac, the location and nerve pathway are also shared by pain originating in the heart. While I suspect this is due to some other cause, I think it wise to eliminate the more serious possibilities first, then look at the other possibilities (ulnar nerve compression, rib-muscle problem of undetermined nature, etc.) via a neurologist.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us as needed.