Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Hit Pacemaker

EMTurn84 - Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:05 pm

I have a pacemaker that is in my abdomen. I have had it for about 2 years down there now so I know it should be set in place. I was rough housing around earlier and accidentally bumped it. I have a pain now in the muscle right next to it, it feels like I want to hunch over all of the time. Could I have torn something with my pacer or just bruised a muscle?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:10 pm

While it is, of course, impossible to know for certain without a hands-on exam, it sounds like and is more likely that you bruised something rather than tore something. The pacer has fairly rounded edges (I assume -- most of them do now) and has some wiggle room where it's implanted, so unless you develop more significant symptoms or if the pain doesn't go away soon, I think you can relax. If it continues to bother you more than a couple days you probably should have that hands-on exam just to be sure.

I hope this is helpful.