Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Hit Pacemaker

EMTurn84 - Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:05 pm

I have a pacemaker that is in my abdomen. I have had it for about 2 years down there now so I know it should be set in place. I was rough housing around earlier and accidentally bumped it. I have a pain now in the muscle right next to it, it feels like I want to hunch over all of the time. Could I have torn something with my pacer or just bruised a muscle?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:10 pm

User avatar Hello -

While it is, of course, impossible to know for certain without a hands-on exam, it sounds like and is more likely that you bruised something rather than tore something. The pacer has fairly rounded edges (I assume -- most of them do now) and has some wiggle room where it's implanted, so unless you develop more significant symptoms or if the pain doesn't go away soon, I think you can relax. If it continues to bother you more than a couple days you probably should have that hands-on exam just to be sure.

I hope this is helpful.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us