Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: 24 Year Old with Dull Chest Pain

aquachic - Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:23 am

I am a 24 year old female, 5'8", 220lbs. I am fairly active, and I travel a lot - I just got back from spending 3 months in the Middle East (I doubt this is relevent). I have a family history of heart disease and high blood pressure. Although, I have never had any problem with either of these. Also, my father died of an anuerysm. I take Nexium and Yaz daily . About 6 months ago, my doctor prescribed Nexium for acid reflux, since I had the constant sensation of something stuck in my throat. After a few months on Nexium, that sensation went away, and I haven't really had any problems since.
However, for the last three days, I have been having a dull achy pain in the center of my chest. It started right after I woke up, and it felt like a burning sensation right between my breasts. I assumed it was heartburn, so I took several Rolaids and an extra Nexium. The burning sensation went away finally, but later in the day I took a nap, and when I woke up the burning had been replaced with the chest pain. The pain has been pretty much constant for the last two and half days. It is a very mild pain, and is pretty much centered along the breastbone. It bascially just feels dull and achy, although there is a slight heavy feeling as well. I have also noticed that I am belching a bit more than is normal. Other than that, there are no other symptoms. I have tried everything, including Rolaids, extra Nexium, and GasX. I am assuming that this pain is caused by acid reflux, but I want to make sure that it isn't something more serious. Is this something I should go to the ER about, or could it wait until I am able to see my family doctor?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:50 pm

User avatar Hello -

Although the odds are extremely high that this symptom is being caused be reflux, given your family history and your height-to-weight ratio, plus the character of the pain as you describe it, I think it would be wise to be seen either at an ER or an acute care walk-in facility, if your family doctor can't work you in in a timely manner. It doesn't sound like an emergent situation, and your age (youth in this case) argues against heart involvement, I would be remiss to simply assume this is a GERD problem, even though it very probably is.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us