Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: pain like a charley horse on my left forearm

deniseb1974 - Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:22 pm

I just started taking Lamisil recently for toenail fungus and around the same time I have been waking up in the middle of the night with severe pain that lasts 5-10 minutes on my left inside forearm area. I have had charley horses about 5 or so years ago in my legs and it was due to low potassium. Is it possible to get a charley horse on the inside of your left arm? I am losing sleep because last night alone it happened at 1, 3 and 5am. I am a insulin dependent diabetic for 23 years now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:11 pm

It is entirely possible to get a charley horse (muscle spasm) in one's forearm, and these tend to happen a lot at night when potassium levels are low. Some people have chronically low potassium levels, and while there can be clear-cut cause many times, there are also unclear causes which sometimes require a prescription potassium supplement (time-released) which will not only help reduce or prevent muscle spasms, but also the occasional heartbeat irregularity that can be caused by low potassium.

I'd approach my doctor to have serum potassium (K) tested and, if it is consistently lwo, have an inexpensive, generic time-release potassium prescribed at least until or unless the source of the potassium loss can be uncovered.

Best of luck to you with this. It's a fairly simple problem to manage, sometimes more difficult to actually cure.