Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Sharp Pain on Right Side of Sternum

 cd61182 - Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:54 pm

Im 22yr old female, 5'4 150lbs. i have an asthma problem that i have been able to control by taking a steriod inhaler once a day for a couple of years now. I do not smoke, i do not drink, but i do have a history of heart problems on my dad's side (which those problems disappeared about 10-15 years ago for him). For the past two days, about 4 hours apart from each other i have had a 10 to 20 second sharp pain about one inch to the right of my sternum. Since i have asthma im not sure if the shortness of breath is from my asthma or from the heart problem but I rub the area until it goes away but in some instances it hurts more. Eventually the pain lingers away and i am left with a numb warm/hot feeling. Why is this happening to me? What do i need to do? I have also felt my heart rate go fast sometimes when i go to bed in the last 2 weeks before the pain started settling in 2 days ago-Thanks.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:00 pm

User avatar Dear cd,

Obviously, I cannot rule out something as dangerous as a cardiac cause for your chest pain over the internet, but according to your description this chest pain is probably not secondary to coronary disease.

Most probably it is related to the lungs in some way.

i would recommend calling your primary care physician to let him know about it and if the pain continues to be a problem more than another 2 days, i would recommend that you be seen by your primary care provider.

Thank you very much for using our website and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 cd61182 - Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:43 pm

Thank you Dr. Mokhtar. I will take your advice. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us