Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Strange numbness in apendages

N_77 - Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:06 pm

For a while now, while sitting I have been experiencing a stange numbness in the back side of my left thigh. Also every night while I sleep both my arms fall asleep all the way to my finger tips. I don't have the energy I once did, I don't know if that is caused by getting older (age-31), being unhappy, being a smoker or something else. Does any of this sound like signs of something serious?
Please let me know as soon as possible, I appriciate any input.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:39 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Actually it sounds pretty normal, especially the numbness in the back of your left thigh after having been sitting for a while. This is known as "wallet sciatica" and is peculiar to males, who, as a rule, carry their wallets in the left hip pocket, putting pressure on the sciatic nerve.

As for the arms falling asleep while sleeping, that sounds like a quite possibly normal response to faulty posture or position while asleep, something we have very little control over. It can be due to a "wrong" pillow or just a wrong positioning of the head/neck during sleep. While all of this could be some arcane neurological problem, the two things are so common that I truly suspect they are totally normal.

Loss of energy is the one thing that truly warrants some investigation, and that can only be figured out by means of a routine physical and some accompanying lab work to see if there's anything out of kilter in the bloodwork, enzymes, etc. However, being unhappy and being a smoker both could contribute tremendously to the loss of energy. Still, given those two qualifiers, you're probably due for a thorough physical.

Overall you sound pretty healthy for your age. Hope this helpful. Best of luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us