Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: 18 years old, atheletic and prehypertensive?

singaporean - Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:06 am

I'm an 18 year old Asian female, 153lbs and 5ft 4.5in. I run about 25miles a week and have been this active for about 3 years. I also count calories and keep daily caloric intake to 1500calories to maintain my weight. Due to health concerns I shed 30lbs at age 15 and have permanently kept off 20lbs.

Recently I've had chest pains on the upper-left side and center of the chest while as well as palpitations while resting. My blood pressure 6 months ago was 116/60 but today it was 135/84 which really frightened me. Pulse remains around 60-65.

Could I possibly be developing hypertension at age 18?

I have a family history of heart disease and my father passed away from ischaemic heart disease at age 42, as did his father. 2 of my paternal uncles have had heart bypasses. Should I consult a doctor?

Thank you very much.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:38 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Based on both your family history and your athletecism, I would suggest a baseline cardiological workup just for the record. While the one-time blood pressure increase doesn't concern me, as it was very moderate and these things do happen, the chest pains and palpitations in a person of your height and weight, when considered in light of extremely high fitness levels and with such an early family history of heart disease, warrants a cautionary workup which can then be used as a baseline measure as well as a way to uncover any possible occult heart disease, which would, at this stage, most likely be structural rather than involving coronary arteries (although with the history, either is remotely possible).

I hope you will see a cardiologist just based on your fitness level, athletic regimen and family history. You probably don't have any disease currently, but this would be a very good time to establish an adult baseline for all your cardiac parameters.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you and please keep us updated.
 singaporean - Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:29 pm

thank you for the speedy reply, i'll be booking an appointment with my doctor this weekend!
 singaporean - Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:28 am

Hello there,

thank you so much for the concern and the reply.
i've been to the doctor and thank god it was a false alarm
turns out my bp monitor is faulty. my bloody pressure is a healthy 110/70.
i need a new bp monitor!

<thanks so much,
regards, singaporean
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:51 am

User avatar Excellent news! Well, maybe not about the BP monitor, but overall it's great. These things do happen, and it's good to check a home monitor against an "industrial strength" calibrated one once or twice a year, but now you know. Thanks for the follow up. Be well.