Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: 18 years old, atheletic and prehypertensive?

singaporean - Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:06 am

Hello,

I'm an 18 year old Asian female, 153lbs and 5ft 4.5in. I run about 25miles a week and have been this active for about 3 years. I also count calories and keep daily caloric intake to 1500calories to maintain my weight. Due to health concerns I shed 30lbs at age 15 and have permanently kept off 20lbs.

Recently I've had chest pains on the upper-left side and center of the chest while as well as palpitations while resting. My blood pressure 6 months ago was 116/60 but today it was 135/84 which really frightened me. Pulse remains around 60-65.

Could I possibly be developing hypertension at age 18?

I have a family history of heart disease and my father passed away from ischaemic heart disease at age 42, as did his father. 2 of my paternal uncles have had heart bypasses. Should I consult a doctor?

Thank you very much.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:38 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Based on both your family history and your athletecism, I would suggest a baseline cardiological workup just for the record. While the one-time blood pressure increase doesn't concern me, as it was very moderate and these things do happen, the chest pains and palpitations in a person of your height and weight, when considered in light of extremely high fitness levels and with such an early family history of heart disease, warrants a cautionary workup which can then be used as a baseline measure as well as a way to uncover any possible occult heart disease, which would, at this stage, most likely be structural rather than involving coronary arteries (although with the history, either is remotely possible).

I hope you will see a cardiologist just based on your fitness level, athletic regimen and family history. You probably don't have any disease currently, but this would be a very good time to establish an adult baseline for all your cardiac parameters.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you and please keep us updated.
 singaporean - Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:29 pm

Hello,
thank you for the speedy reply, i'll be booking an appointment with my doctor this weekend!
 singaporean - Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:28 am

Hello there,

thank you so much for the concern and the reply.
i've been to the doctor and thank god it was a false alarm
turns out my bp monitor is faulty. my bloody pressure is a healthy 110/70.
i need a new bp monitor!

<thanks so much,
regards, singaporean
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:51 am

User avatar Excellent news! Well, maybe not about the BP monitor, but overall it's great. These things do happen, and it's good to check a home monitor against an "industrial strength" calibrated one once or twice a year, but now you know. Thanks for the follow up. Be well.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us