Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Ventricular Septal Defect-its origin

smilY - Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:58 am

Hello,
I'm female, 19 yrs old.I have undergone 2 surgeries for VSD disease during childhood.I am now fine and living a normal life.I am very keen to know the origin on the VSD disease, whether it is genetically inherited or not.None of my parents or grandparents suffered from this disease. I would like to know what can be done to know the source of this disease?Thank you a lot.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:26 pm

User avatar Hello -

While VSD and similar abnormalities can be hereditary, they are sometimes due to an often subtle mis-process in utero, and are often limited to the immediate patient (this is considered a mutation instead of a hereditary defect, but future generations of your descendants could well have the same defect, so it shouldn't be a surprise if that were to happen). There is no hard and fast rule on this, but once it's present in a genealogical line, it can certainly turn up again. It's possible someone a generation or two ahead of you may have had this or something similar (the defect isn't always duplicated exactly, but may simply be similar), and never was detected.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck, and follow up with us if you have any further questions.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us