Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Ventricular Septal Defect-its origin

smilY - Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:58 am

I'm female, 19 yrs old.I have undergone 2 surgeries for VSD disease during childhood.I am now fine and living a normal life.I am very keen to know the origin on the VSD disease, whether it is genetically inherited or not.None of my parents or grandparents suffered from this disease. I would like to know what can be done to know the source of this disease?Thank you a lot.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:26 pm

While VSD and similar abnormalities can be hereditary, they are sometimes due to an often subtle mis-process in utero, and are often limited to the immediate patient (this is considered a mutation instead of a hereditary defect, but future generations of your descendants could well have the same defect, so it shouldn't be a surprise if that were to happen). There is no hard and fast rule on this, but once it's present in a genealogical line, it can certainly turn up again. It's possible someone a generation or two ahead of you may have had this or something similar (the defect isn't always duplicated exactly, but may simply be similar), and never was detected.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck, and follow up with us if you have any further questions.