Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Chest pains

boo28 - Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:58 pm

I have been having bad chest pains for the last 4 weeks. I have gone to the dr. twice, they did a chest x-ray and told me nothing was wrong. They said it was a pulled muscle in my chest and put me on some medication. None of the meds are helping at all. I recently went up north for a week and I had no pain in my chest while I was gone and then the night I got back the pains in my chest returned. I was just wondering if the higher elevation would help a "pulled" muscle in my chest or could something else be wrong? If you can give me some insight I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Boo
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:54 am

User avatar Hi boo28,
Was a chest xray the only thing that was done? Did they do an ekg, cardiac work-up etc.? If not I would suggest that with your symptoms, this be completed. Although a pulled muscle can cause considerable pain, since the medications aren't helping, you may need a re-evaluation. A chest xray can't determine cardiac function.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 boo28 - Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:39 am

Thanks for your reply. I am a little hesitate to go back to the doctor just because I was there twice had them on the phone 5 times and they told me nothing was wrong. And yes they only did a chest xray. I guess I need to find a new doctor. Thanks again for your help.
Boo
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:56 am

User avatar Hi boo28,
Sometimes health care professionals look at a persons age and automaticly assume certain symptoms aren't cardiac in origin. I would certainly urge you to find a physician to do a cardiac evaluation on you and if the results are normal then he/she should be able to discuss the other possibilities.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us