Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: uncomfortable blocked, electric feeling in chest

ginat - Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:26 pm

I have gerd and eschemic heart disease. I have recently got my medication changed and I have a blocked uncomfortable feeling in my chest sort of small stabbing electric type of feeling. It goes right through to my back ... otherwise I feel well. I don't wake up with it but it comes on through out the day. I am sure its not the same as the angina pains I was getting. Is it gerd? or can I feel the blocked artery I am not imaging this feeling. HELP
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:19 pm

The sensation you describe sounds a lot like it could be caused by GERD, and it definitely doesn't sound like even atypical cardiac pain. It's actually helpful that you know what angina feels like to you, as this can help you determine what's not going on, at least.

You wouldn't be able to literally and directly feel your blocked artery, as the pains caused by that are referred to other nearby areas (and sometimes not so nearby), and are usually a dull, waxing and waning discomfort. But you already know best how you'd describe them, and this doesn't feel like that. Cardiac pain is almost never sharp or stabbing. GERD pain can feel just like angina or it can cause a lot of other, more varied sensations. What you describe seems likely related to that.

Needless to say, if you experience anything new in terms of symptoms that come on with exertion and go away at rest, or if you experience angina of the type you're already familiar with, you should notify your doctor right away or, if it's significantly different (more severe in particular), just dial 9-1-1 and let the ER figure out what's going on. Never hesitate if you're in doubt. However, so far, what you describe does not sound at all like cardiac pain.

I hope this is helpful. Take care of yourself and stay in touch with us here.
 ginat - Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:13 am

Thanks for your reply. I am now on porridge and bland food. The pain has gone away now so thank god it was gerd. You really assured me thank you. Gina
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:23 pm

User avatar Hello Gina -

Great news. While it's not great to have GERD, it's a lot better than some of the alternatives. Thanks for the followup. Take care of yourself.