Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Congenital Heart Disease in Adults

Question: Patent Ductus Arteriousus confusion

 Anonymous - Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:07 am

My brother was recently told by his doctor that he needed to go get an echocardiogram done to look at his heart because she heard, what she thought was, a heart murmur. When we got the results back, we were told its a type of patent ductus arteriosus. I was researching this heart problem and it is constantly referred to as during the infantcy stage of life, not a thirteen year olds. What will he need done to his heart? Why didn't the doctor detect the heart murmur before?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:44 pm

User avatar Dear guest,

Thank you very much for using our website.

Patent ductus arteriosus is a connection that is present betweer the 2 major blood vessels that arise from the heart, the aorta and the pulmonary artery. It is present normally in the fetus. It should close after delivery, if it does not, then the patient will have a patent ductus arteriosus.

If the patent ductus arteriosus is small, there will be no sypmtoms and could sometimes go undetected.

I am not sure why your brother went and saw the doctor to begin with unless it was just a regular follow-up.

What should be done depends on the size of the patent ductus arteriosus and whether there is a possibility that it will pose a threat of heart failure or not. There is also a possibilty (although rare in small ducts), that the patent ductus arteriosus could get infected and cause serious problems.

i think your brother should see a cardiologist and at age thirteen i think it would be a good idea to see a pediatric cardiologist first.

At that point, most probably they will go with cardiac catheterization to do initial evaluation and then decide which way to go.

Important is to tell the dentist of your brother that he was diagnosed with patent ductus arteriosus and that he will antibiotics for some of the procedures that might be done.

Treatment options include:
1. Closure through catheter.
2. Surgery.

Once more thank you very much for using our website and if you still have any concerns or questions do not hesitate to post them.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us