Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Pulmonary atresia, ventricular septal defect with PDA

 dannysa - Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:44 am

Dear Doctors,

My friend's child diagnosed with Pulmonary atresia, ventricular septal defect with patent ductus arteriosus shortly after born. Currently, she is 4 year old. Her doctor refuse to proceed with the heart operation due to she have insufficient strength to flip her body by herself. I would like to seek the advise of any possible treatment or operation to cure this child.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:34 pm

User avatar Hello -

The only treatment for this trio of defects (commonly called "tetralogy of Fallot") is surgical correction, and the rule of thumb in many centers is that the child should have the strength to turn herself over without help. This is a very old standard, however, and depends upon the center charged with the care of the child. The only other treatment is supportive, that is providing oxygen, nutrition, etc.

Your friend's best bet would be to try and have the child moved to a more advanced center which specializes in these difficult cases.

I hope this is of some help to you.
 dannysa - Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:26 am

Dear Dr. Kenyon,

Thank you for your reply,
Are you able to provide recommended doctors or specialists in the area of Malaysia?

Warmest Regards
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:47 pm

User avatar You're very welcome.

My best guess as to centers in Malaysia would be the Institut Jantung Negara in Kuala Lumpur. Here is a link to their website with means to contact them:

I hope this is of some help to you.

My best to you. Please update us.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us