Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiomyopathy

Question: Hypotrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy and pain in Right arm

munchmissie - Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:50 pm

Was diagnosed with H.O.C.M 3 years ago, check ups every year have been fine and on no medication for this condition, but for the past couple of days i been having pain in whole of right arm, with numbness and pins and needles in fingers and hand area. Have trouble holding a fork to eat, or opening doors etc.
Could these be related and what do you suggest i do, Cant get to the doctors till monday.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:51 pm

User avatar Hi there -

While you are prudent to be concerned, what you describe sounds more like a nerve impingement than heart-related. The weakness and loss of some strength and coordination make it sound like a cervical or thoracic outlet pinch most likely. I would certainly still follow up with the doctor anyway, just to be certain there's no atypical heart presentation, but it really does sound like a neuromuscular problem based on the features.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please do follow up with us.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us