Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: 27 - active - Very High Triglycerides, elevated BP & weight

 writhe82 - Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:42 am

I am 27 years old and am being treated for HyperTriglyceridemia. I have been on various diets and am active almost every day and twice a week play a couple hours of basketball. But my weight keeps going up and recently have noticed elevated Blood Pressure. I want to loose weight and get my blood pressure down.

Triglycerides (before medication) 950 (after medication) 330
Weight 300 lbs. It keeps going up the more I work out and diet.
Blood pressure averages around 140/85 approx.

I have a blood pressure cuff now and am doing a spreadsheet of the results but my inablity to alter the course of this is getting me concerned.

Any advice would be appreciated.

 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:22 am

User avatar Hi there -

If you haven't already done so, I would seek a consult with an endocrinologist, since there has to be a metabolic/glandular component to this. You're doing everything right but your body isn't responding the right way. There are a number of endo-related issues that can cause this sort of problem. You've done well with the triglycerides with medication, but if you could start to lose instead of gain weight those numbers would likely go down a lot more. As it stands you're at risk of developing diabetes, among other things, so if you can find an endocrinologist to take an interest in solving this it would be a huge advantage to you. Meanwhile, keep up the great work.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us