Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Congenital Heart Disease in Adults

Question: Why is 1/2 of my muscle missing after PDA surgery

D3AN - Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:33 am

Hi Doctors, I underwent surgery for patent ductus arteriosus as a premature baby. I'm 22 now and half of my pectoral muscle has always been missing where the incision was made. I'm just curious why 1/2 of my muscle is missing. Was it simply not sutured back together? Thanks for any help
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:14 am

User avatar Hello -

My best guess is that during the surgery, when the muscle was separated, due to the location of the incision and the small scale of you as a premature infant, some of the muscle tissue was simply lost outright or to wasting during the healing process. There is such a huge difference not only in scale but in development between adults and less-than-full-term babies that it would be rather surprising if this hadn't happened.

I hope this answers your question adequately. Good luck to you.
 premedpedcard - Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:03 pm

Something else to think about would be if the nerve that innervates that particular muscle was severed during surgery. That could lead to the atrophy of that muscle group.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us