Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Chest pains at very young age

 Spartan Tyrant - Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:32 pm

Hi, im 16 and i recently began having sharp pains in my chest and heart. Every once in a while, they occur randomly in school, and sometimes when i am active. Im thinking that it is nothing to worry about, and it might be all in my head. I know its unusual for young people to have heart problems, but is there a possibility that I do? I would appreciate your point of view. Thanks.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:56 pm

User avatar Dear Spartan Tyrant,

At your age, this chest pain, if due to a heart problem, is more probably due to

1. A condition called mitral valve prolapse. Usually, this is a benign condition that just needs follow-up unless it is associated with a murmur which is a noise heard on heart examination (and this means that there is associated mitral valve regurgitation). This condition usually causes atypical chest pain and it is usually associated with palpitations espeically after meals. This could be the case in your condition.

2. Inflammation of the sac surrounding the heart but it does not sound that this is the case in your condition.

Chest pain also has many non-heart causes. From your description, this could be related to muscular strain or a very minor inflammation in the membrane surrounding the lungs.

You can try over the counter pain relievers. If you want to make sure that you don't have mitral valve prolapse, you can mention it to your doctor with your next visit. Usually an echocardiogram (an ultrasound of the heart) is done if your doctor thinks it is indicated.

Thank you very much for using our website and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us