Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Transient Ischemic Attack

 wondering1962 - Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:59 pm

I was told that I had a TIA, I am a 47 yr old female.
Only existing medical is Hypothyroidism...controlled by 0.15 mg eltroxin 1 x day
since childhood

I have been placed on medication for the high blood pressure that caused the TIA
and it has been doubled as it is NOT getting the BP numbers down

I have tingling in my arm, from shoulder to finger tips down my right comes about once an hour and lasts for a few minutes then goes away

Should I be telling my family dr that I am feeling this.........Am I going to have a
bigger stroke?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:11 pm

User avatar Hi there --

If, in fact, you did have a TIA, or if your doctor even feels fairly certain you did, then these are generally considered "warning" events, so yes, you definitely should let your doctor know you're having what seem to be related symptoms (the tingling down your arm). Usually the purpose of treating a TIA is to avoid a "true" and damaging stroke.

On the other hand, high blood pressure is rarely the cause of TIA, but rather clots cause these and usually lead to the larger stroke. Of course if there is a weakened blood vessel, then this is a potentially more serious situation that demands close followup, and again, yes, by all means let your doctor know you're having these symptoms.

I have a feeling this may all be something else entirely, but we don't have enough information to draw too many conclusions. Could you tell us what your blood pressure range is currently? This might be helpful, along with what's been prescribed to control BP (and isn't working)?

Please folow up with us but first give your doctor a call about the symptoms you're having. Hope this is helpful to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us