Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Chest pressure lasting longer than a week

sampson12 - Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:10 pm

I have been experiencing chest pressure for 9 days. I have been on vacation (on a cruise ship) during that time. This pressure does not appear to be subsiding. Also, when this pressure first started, I was working and my left arm and especially my left hand fingers have gone numb and are still tingly. I have never experienced these problems before. I have not had my blood pressure checked recently, but last time it was borderline high. I am not overweight.
Thankyou.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:07 pm

User avatar Dear Sampson,

To decide whether or not chest pain is of coronary origin, risk factors for coronary disease (of the person complaining of chest pain) and the characteristics of pain are looked at.

You are a male, you have not reached the age where coronary disease is considered, you smoke, you might have hypertension, you don't have diabetes and there is no mention of cholesterol and your family history sound negative for coronary disease.

There are some characterstics of the chest pain that are missing in your description. How long does the chest pain last? How frequent do you get it a day? Does it go anywhere besides your chest? Any associated symptoms with the pain?

In your case, even though there still are some pieces of information that are missing about the characteristics of the pain, yet i think that the pain sounds atypical (as compared to that of coronary disease).

This, in addition to your history of having 2 compressed vertebae in your neck and the history of continuous numbness and tingling, i would say that most probably this is not pressure caused by coronary disease but by your neck problem.

This being said, however, i would like you to see your doctor for this pain, the sooner the better.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.