Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Sudden increase in blood presure

jaredG - Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:22 pm

Im a 23 year old male. 6'0, 175. works out 4 times a week. The past week my blood pressure has jumped quite alot. Im usually around 120/60 range, but now im at a wopping 140/80. Whats going on here? i don't drink or smoke. I eat very healthy. i don't get it. In addition my pulse rate has risen too when im lying in bed its around 65 but when i stand up its climbs to the 90 range, i also feel tired and sluggish.. any response or input would be greatly appreciated thanks...

Jared
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:54 pm

User avatar Dear Jared,

Blood pressure does not always stay the same, it differs from time to time and from situation to situation and from lying down to standing up.

Even though your blood pressure increases from 120/60 to 140/80, it is still within the normal range of blood pressure. High blood pressure is diagnosed when the blood pressure is found to be greater than 140/90 on three different occasions during the same week (meaning on three different days).

It is normal to have an increase in the pulse when you start moving because when you rest your heart does not have to do as much work.

In some cases, people who are dehydrated get an increase in their pulse and a decrease in their blood pressure when they stand up.

If you had diarrhea or vomiting or nausea and were not drinking or eating enough, this might be a cause.

i suggest that you monitor your blood pressure for the time being to make sure it does not go off limits and if it does on three different occasions, then call your doctor to have an appointment.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.