Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Calcified Hematoma

Tobi - Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:29 pm

What is a calcified hematoma? What symtoms would one expect with one? I am a 62 yr old female with no medical problems. I was told I have a calcified hematoma in my leg, but was given no other information.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:54 pm

User avatar Hello --

A hematoma is a collection of blood in tissue, usually a bruise or collection of blood due to some sort of physical trauma or perhaps a vascular accident. When it doesn't dissipate normally it may acrete calcium deposits and thereby be considered calcified -- hardened -- but since it's not in an actual blood vessel (though usuall near one) it doesn't present any specific problems as a rule, although it may cause uncomfortable sensations, a lump or hard spot, or local pain. These can often be removed vial minor surgery if they become a problem. Otherwise they don't usually mean much.

I hope this helps address your conerns. Good luck to you. Please feel free to follow up with us here as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us