Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Dental work and rheumatic heart disease

d.thomsen@ascc.as - Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:06 pm

I have hypertension for year and half taking vasotec. Have RHD take bicillin shot uptodate but have abscess on tooth for about a month now. Dentist will not remove because I'm having dizziness, feel like fainting, nausea and intense headaches. Have been experiencing shortness in breath for two weeks now as well as palpitations but cannot get into medical clinic to see a doctor. Long waiting lines and ER see me and then refer me to clinic. Please help as I'm worried, don't know when I can get tooth pulled and have other dental work needed. The dizziness and nausea leave me very tired. Have no chest pain just shortness in breath and palpitations even when sitting or laying down in relaxing position. Was prescribed amoxicillin by dentist for tooth. Only know allergy is aspirin (became allergic 2 yrs ago). Not sure about drug interactions?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:32 am

User avatar Dear Guest,

What is the exact heart lesion that you have secondary to rheumatic fever?

i think that you can safely stop the long acting penicillin now.

i think you have to be seen by your doctor and i think that you need to have an echocardiogram (unless you had one recently).

Regarding your tooth problem, i think that your dentist can pull your tooth out without problems but as usual you will have to take antibiotics prophylaxis to prevent infection of the diseased valves.

i can not tell you exactly what is causing your symptoms but it can be related to your palpitations, if they are fast, they can lead to this fainting like feeling and the dizziness.

These symptoms can also be caused by progression of certain valve lesions (but i don't know what kind of heart lesion you exactly have).

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.