Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Stumping Doctor

 sc00bert - Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:03 pm

I have been having some problems over the past month that are concerning to me and are frankly stumping my doctor.

I have an anxiety disorder as well as panic attacks. I have come to recognize the symptoms of these and how to control them over the years. The symptoms below are NOT from these as they do not feel the same at all.

In the last month I have had extreme nausea, a feeling of someone sitting on my chest, and numbness and tingling only down the left side of my body (it starts at the shoulder area and goes all the way down to my toes, but only on the left side). I have NO pain associated with this at all. I do have a very mild headache that comes and goes on the left side of my head from time to time, but nothing severe. I also have a fluttering feeling in my chest, which i associate with the anxiety/panic problems but I could be wrong.

The doctors checked my thyroid, did a blood test to rule out clots (as well as a Cat scan of my chest), Chest and Neck X-Rays. They did other blood tests . I have NOT had an EKG and no other tests have been ordered( I did have one years ago when I was pregnant with my son and it was normal). My blood pressure is 118/70 and my cholesterol is 153. I am overweight but am working on getting my weight down by excercising 5 times a week ( I have done this gradually over the past 6 months).

The doctor has told me that basically all the tests done this far show me to be a very healthy 28 year old female. Told me to take some IBprofin and come back in a week if the symptoms have not gone away to get further testing done (which he said is very expensive and he does not think it is warranted at this point).

Any suggestions?
 Kathy C, RN - Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:31 pm

:D You did not mention if the physician you saw was a specialist. Even though you are only 28 I would recommend a consult with a cardiologist for a work up and go from there.
 sc00bert - Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:38 pm

I have not seen any specialists.
 Kathy C, RN - Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:43 pm

Make an appointment with a cardiologist just to make sure. You could get a complete work up and perhaps get some answers and some peace of mind. I can only imagine how frightening it must be when it is happening. Good luck!!!!
 one_blueangelz - Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:29 pm

Hello, I would recommend that you get checked by a specialist like angel said but I also wanted to say that anxiety(in my own experience) seems to have a mind of its own and as you get used to one symtom it throws a few more at you which throws you off again.
 curare - Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:59 am

I have one that has my family doc. stumped . Just recently I got out of the hospital for ( I was in for dehydration and an ovarian sist) and when I got home I noticed something in my vein where the had stuck the last IV needle ( the nurse had problems getting the ein and had to try multiple times). Well i thought it would go away , just something like inflamation from the IV and fluids, but after about a week it was still there so went to family doc and he X-rayed it and nothing showed up on the x-ray, but there is something about an inch long and its solid in the vein . It does not move much but my father is scared about it deciding to move andlike block a valve or something, so now in the morning I'm goin in for out patient surgery to get it removed.....A friend who is a head nurse at this hospial told me that it was possible for part of the (catheter?) flexible tube to be sheared of by the needle when moving the needle back and forth lookin' for the vein... is this possible?....
 ddroberts - Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:45 am

I'm a 47y.o. female, over the last two weeks i've been having gradual to sharp stabbing pains on the side and above the left breast area, radiating into my neck, also a pressure in the middle of my chest between my breasts. Along with that I have been short of breath awakening in am, no exertion, other times throughout the day, at rest, chest pains are at rest, also night sweats, used a Minitran Nitro patch on two separate occasions, both gave relief. I did go to ER, they did a Cardio workup, all normal, BP was 155/98, wasn't have any pains when I went there. Since I have seen an internist, he has ordered a treadmill and also a CT of Chest w/Contrast. I do smoke, have for 32 yrs., not overweight, never had any pains like these in the past. They aren't constant and haven't been to the point of passing out. Also, have had Panic attacks several years ago, these symptoms aren't anything like those were. What could this be?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us