Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Myelodysplastic syndrome and cardiac disease

srstep - Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:20 pm

I have myelodysplastic syndrome and my hemaglobin stays around 8.7. The doctor said that I should have a transfusion, especially since I have heart disease. Could you please explain to me what one has to do with the other, and am I at a higher risk with the heart disease. I don't have any symptoms of the heart disease. Thanks
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:04 pm

User avatar Dear srstep,

What kind of heart disease do you have? How was it diagnosed? What are the expected symptoms?

Clinical trials have shown that patients who have an acute coronary syndrome, such as unstable angina, acute myocardial infarction (heart attack), and are admitted to the hospital and have a hemglobin of less than 10 gm%, need to be transfused up to a hemoglobin of 10 gm%.

There are some studies that suggest that patients can even tolerate lower hemoglobin level.

This has been an everlasting debate.

Blood transfusion is not without complications and adverse events. Unless absolutely necessary, in my personal opinion, i don't think that a patient should get blood.

A hemoglobin of nearly 9 gm% is not that bad, if you are not having any symptoms of chest pain, shortness of breath, palpitations, dizziness, weakness, easy fatigability, i would suggest that no transfusion is given, but still it is up to you and your doctor to discuss it and decide which is best for you as your doctor knows you definitely better than i do.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.