Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Cardiology Treatment Modalities

Question: Use of Phytosterol in place of toprol or vytorin

nlu2 - Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:05 am

I would like to use Phytosterol in place of toprol or vytorin. I would like to use up my bottle of Cholesterol Blocker.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:25 pm

User avatar Dear nlu2,

Please, don't stop the toprol for whatever reason except after consulting with your doctor first. Toprol is for control of blood pressure and for coronary disease. Sudden cessation of toprol can lead to detremental side effects.

As regards to phytosterols, these are plant products that can be used to decrease ldl cholesterol in addition to other cholesterol lowering medications. The problem is that to achieve an adequate response, you have to take quite a big amount which might end up in you gaining weight. You can discuss this option with your doctor as well.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.