Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Blurred Vision and Numbness in right arm

mheather - Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:47 pm

I recently had a new experience, from elbow to finger tips on my right arm went numb. It had the same sensation that novicain gives to your face.I have also expericed blurring of vision, usually in one eye at a time, and it appears as though half of my eye is being covered. I do smoke about a pack a day and am about 100lbs. overweight. But have also had no major medical problems (ie. diabeties, high blood pressure) , although both are borderline. Also these symptoms are not in conjuction with headaches, nausea, or anything else. Don't know what it could be and if I may need to see a MD. Any suggestions would be helpful.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:34 am

User avatar Hi mheather,
Does the blurred vision and arm numbness occur simutaneously? If so, these may be warning signs of a TIA (transient ischemic attact) or a stroke. There are other causes for the symptoms, for example, the numbness in the arm, hand and fingers may be related to compression of the nerves in the wrist etc. In my opinion, anytime there is unexplained numbness accompanied by symptoms affecting the head, vision etc. this requires medical attention.