Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Feeling cold after quadruple bypass

raineyjd - Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:36 pm

In 2003, I had prostrate cancer with radiation and hormone treatment. I only had to take 4 hormone shots. I have not had any more problems with my prostrate.

In August 2004, I had a heart attack and a quadruple bypass. A echocardiogram showed that all 4 valves have mild regurgetation.

I am miserable. I feel cold most of the time. I feel like I'm freezing or I am in a deep freeze. I have the most excuricating pain all over my whole body. If the room temperture gets a little too warm, I break out into a sweat. This is really a heavy sweat and I will have to change my T-shirt. It's almost like I am having a hot flash. My whole head feels like it is on fire.This happens 2 - 3 times a day. It's almost unbearable.

My doctor seems puzzled. Said It could be some of the medicine I am taking. Suggested I take Ibuprofen. It has not helped. All blood tests came back ok.
I have no appetite. I just don't know what to do.

I'm thinking, it could be lack of hormones, a circulation problem, nerve damage, etc. Maybe they didn't hook me back up right after bypass. These problems didn't start until after my bypass.
I am about at my wits ends. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

I am a 72 yer old male.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:09 am

User avatar Dear raineyjd,

i only have some suggestions for you.

i am not sure whether this is possible or not, but have you asked your doctor about this being a late effect of hormonal treatment being stopped. Can men have withdrawal symptoms of famle hormones that late? A question that i think you ought to ask your doctor.

i would certainly check a tsh level and make sure that it is normal and you are not taking a higher dose of synthroid that is causing these symptoms. Synthroid on its own can cause increased sweating.

i think also to check a psa is not a bad idea.

Check your blood sugar as well even though it does not sound like a typical hypoglycemic episode, still low blood sugars can cause profuse sweating.

You don't have to worry about them hooking you up right after bypass because i think you are doing just fine except for this sweating.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us