Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: new vibration sensation associated with PVCs

 zeugma - Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:37 pm

29-year-old male here. I've had PVCs for a dozen years or so, and a couple years ago was diagnosed with slight mitral valve prolapse (nothing the doctors were worried about).

In the last year or so, though, I've been noticing a very strong vibration in what feels like my heart, right after some PVCs. It's a "whooshing" sensation, exactly how I'd imagine turbulent blood flow to feel; it's loud enough that I can feel it with my hand, or just in my chest. I've only felt it standing up; usually it's when I'm doing something with my left arm (like washing dishes, or lifting something), but not always.

I had an echocardiogram, and my cardiologist wasn't worried. Of course, I didn't have the sensation during the examination, so no one has actually heard it but me, which leaves me a little unsatisfied.

Is this something I should pursue? Push for an echo that catches it happening? Look for a second opinion?

 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:04 am

User avatar Hi,
Sometimes, it so happens that a person becomes aware of cardiac mechanical events - especially premature atrial/ventricular beats, palpitations Etc.From your account, it appears that your cardiologist (after investigating you) found no cause for concern.

Just as the event did not occur at the time of your consultation with the cardiologist, it may not occur at the time of an echocardiographic examination!
It is better to put your faith in your cardiologist and follow up regularly.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us