Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Wildly fluctuating blood pressure

MRsh8b - Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:45 am

I have been on lisinopril HCTZ 10-12.5 for about five years. In March my blood pressure went to 179-117 and the doctor changed the dosage from once to twice a day and gave me Xanax to help me sleep (and no worry so much about the BP). During the summer my blood pressure readings were as low as 100/65 so the dosage was lowered to once a day. It's been fine ( 125/82 three weeks ago at the MD) but now, as I return to teaching, it's back at 170/110. I'm 54 so menopause issues also come into play. Is this normal? Should returning to the twice daily dose fix this? I was taking Crestor beginning in January but due to the high copay have very recently switched to simvastatin. As the wild fluctuation was a problem before, I don't think that is the trigger here. It's a vicious cycle as the higher it goes the more I worry and it goes still higher. Should the MD be adding a second drug?
Thanks for your input.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:32 pm

User avatar Hello -- Given the factors of return to work and menopause and given the numbers you've quoted here, it would seem twice-a-day dosing should be ideal for you. When your BP was at its lowest it was a perfectly acceptable level, and as it increased it stayed okay til stress acted on it to send it back to pathological levels. Since changing a statin drug would in no way set off the problem but increased stress (and possibly menopausal issues) would, it follows logically the halved dose would only hold up til a return to work. You may well love your work, but even if you do it is a stressful job, and menopause only adds to this.

I'm not a huge fan of combination drug (except for the type you're currently taking) therapy for hypertension except in severe, intractable cases, which doesn't seem to apply here. I think the twice-a day regimen should bring you back into a comfortable range. If not, addition of an additional drug might be justified. I doubt, given your history, this would be the case.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us