Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Heart Failure

Question: Heart exploded

lbenkel - Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:58 am

A friend wrote to me telling me of the death of one of her friends. I want to know whether it is actually possible that the heart exploded.
This is what she wrote;
"She only had 20 % of her heart left, so couldn't do any extensive tests on her. It finally
just exploded in the hospital & blood was even in her stomach. They did try to revive her though."
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:27 pm

User avatar Dear Ibenkel,

Myocardial [heart muscle] rupture is a clinical entity that happens after an acute myocardial infarction [aka heart attack with loss of tissue blood supply due to blocks in blood vessels supplying the heart muscles]. Catastrophic an event as it is, your friend's description of the events certainly add dramatic connotations to a layman's understanding. Concomitant rupture of the diaphragm [muscular partition between the chest and abdomen] with accumulation of blood within the abdomen has also been described with this condition. Older women, especially those with recurrent postinfarction angina [repeated chest pains in a person known to have had a heart attack], and patients with systemic hypertension [high BP] more commonly experience myocardial rupture following Acute Myocardial Infarction. So much notwithstanding, I feel Ibenkel can still sleep peacefully knowing that her aches aren’t in her chest but in her waist.

-Bill

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us