Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Heart Failure

Question: Heart exploded

lbenkel - Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:58 am

A friend wrote to me telling me of the death of one of her friends. I want to know whether it is actually possible that the heart exploded.
This is what she wrote;
"She only had 20 % of her heart left, so couldn't do any extensive tests on her. It finally
just exploded in the hospital & blood was even in her stomach. They did try to revive her though."
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:27 pm

User avatar Dear Ibenkel,

Myocardial [heart muscle] rupture is a clinical entity that happens after an acute myocardial infarction [aka heart attack with loss of tissue blood supply due to blocks in blood vessels supplying the heart muscles]. Catastrophic an event as it is, your friend's description of the events certainly add dramatic connotations to a layman's understanding. Concomitant rupture of the diaphragm [muscular partition between the chest and abdomen] with accumulation of blood within the abdomen has also been described with this condition. Older women, especially those with recurrent postinfarction angina [repeated chest pains in a person known to have had a heart attack], and patients with systemic hypertension [high BP] more commonly experience myocardial rupture following Acute Myocardial Infarction. So much notwithstanding, I feel Ibenkel can still sleep peacefully knowing that her aches aren’t in her chest but in her waist.

-Bill