Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: High blood pressure in your 30's

anthony0424 - Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:01 pm

I went to my Doctor yesterday to get a prescription of Allegra, well, when they took my blood pressure, it was 143/94. They took it again and it was the same. Now, I don't drink or smoke. I do drink coffee and I did have a cub of coffee before I saw my doctor. He said the coffee would have raised my heart rate, it was 96 beats a minute. I am really freaked about this because I am 34 years old, in good shape, I run about 15 to 20 miles a week. I eat pretty well. THough, I am under a huge amount of stress at the home front. Currently I am having to take care of my children and my wife. I am trying to switch professions. I am a police officer currently (yes, stressful) Can Stress elevate your BP that high. I don't know if I have a family history. I have not spoken to my Father in almost ten years. My mother does not have a heart condition. I was looking at the Body Mass Index, according to that, it had me as over weight. Last time I checked my actual body fat (we do semi-anual stress test with the police department) I came in at 11%, isn't that pretty good? I am 5'9" 170 lbs. How can I have high blood pressure.

Freaked out in Texas...
 drjvvr - Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:39 am

Dear Anthony,

143/94 mm Hg is not a perfectly normal blood pressure reading, I agree. At the same time, I think you are excited much more than you are supposed to be! I have seen many patients whose baseline BP itself is 140/90 mm Hg. Just don't worry too much. Your doctor was right when he said coffee could have increased your heart rate. 96 per minute is also not a very high rate. It can occur to anybody who has just finished running a 100 metres dash or one who has just faced a terrorizing situation. Coffee can momentarily increase BP also.

If you were my patient, I would advise you just to check your BP a few days later when you would be in a cool mood. If it is 130/90 mm Hg or below (upto 110/70 mm Hg), you can feel reassured. If it is otherwise, check BP twice daily at specific timings for a week. If the value still persists, you can go for an Electrocardiogram and to further investigations if it is abnormal in any way. I suggest these measures for screening only and I don't mean to say that you are not normal now. My impression is that there is a fair chance of you having no abnormality and the BP would have been a momentary one, due to stress. Even if all values are normal, keep checking your BP now and then - at least once in 6 months, so that we can detect hypertension when it first manifests itself.

Take care! My colleagues here can add whatever they want to suggest you. What I have given you is just a gist!

Yours Always Musically,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us