Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Blood Clot or Blood Pocket?

 ddavid - Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:35 am

My 20 year old son has suddenly developed a very large bruise and bump on his right leg above his knee. He went to 2 different doctors and one told him he had a blood clot the other told him he had a blood pocket. He his a tower climber and very active he also work about 50 to 90 hours a week. Daily climbing is anywhere between 1200 to 4000 feet per day. I know excercise is not the issue. Both doctors implied it could be lack of protien and his body is getting beat up by over excercising. The last doctor told him to take a break from working or his body could possible shut down. He has been out of town for 3 weeks now and I expect him back tomorrow. I am not satisfied with what exactly he needs to do. I really just want advice on which type of doctor I should take him to here locally?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:37 pm

User avatar Hello -- The lesion you describe is consistent with the type of climbing your son does and with coming into rough contact with hard surfaces. This alone could cause a hematoma (significant bruise or "blood pocket") or even a superficial clot, since the area is one likely to be struck against surfaces while climbing. So long as the area affected does not enlarge nor discolor beyond the immediate area (which could indicate cellulitis, infection of a bruised area, usually in the leg) it will likely go away on its own. If it is extremely painful it needs attention and if it's a hematoma -- blood pocket -- in the compartment of the muscle near the knee, it may even need to be drained by needle aspiration, which could relieve discomfort. Any general practioner should be able to determine what this is and treat it or refer accordingly, it shouldn't be too complicated a problem. That two doctors have given vague diagnoses and not attempted to treat it either means there is nothing serious going on or perhaps your son hasn't had time, which his very busy schedule, to take off to follow up with a doctor?

As for the long hours and the potential for your son's body to "shut down", this all is very vague, since so long as he tolerates the exercise and work well, rests adequately, isn't losing weight nor having any other serious symptoms, he is probably fine. It is a remarkable schedule, but so long as he feels he has to do this (or enjoys it a great deal) and the discolored lump on his leg is his only complaint, he should be fine. Routine blood work should have been done by at least one of the doctors, which would show any signs of chronic systemic problems, but otherwise he sounds fit, healthy, is young and obviously strong, so unless there is something more to add, it seems like a fairly minimal problem.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you and to your son. Please follow up with us here as necessary.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us