Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: PSVT treatment

 fooll2 - Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:44 pm

I'm a 42 year old married lady. I had my first encounter of PSVT in March 1998 and it did not recur again till yesterday. My heart beat was 280 and I had to rush to my doctor to seek treatment. My doctor advise me to consider a surgical treatment of modification of the electrical conduction pathway. I am quite hesistant as this is only second time that it happen. My main concern is I will be following my husband for an overseas posting in Shanghai, China. I would like to hear your professional recommendation on whether I should go for the surgical treatment and the risk involve. Thank you.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:55 am

User avatar Dear fooll2,

It is unpredictable when you are going to have your next attack of psvt. You never had any problem with dizziness or syncope the first two times, but no one knows how your body will react to the next attack.

The surgical procedure is not really a surgery. It is an invasive procedure. It does not involve opening your chest or any thing of the sort. It is done by passing a special catheter through your groin vein to the heart where the electrical activity of your heart is recorded and mapped. This will show if you have an accessory pathway or not and at the same time ablate this pathway by radiofrequency. You can go home the next day if all goes well. No procedure is without complications of course and it could involve bleeding, failure of the procedure, injury to any of the blood vessels of the groin amongst others.

i am not sure how long you are going to be in China, but i am sure that in Shanghai, they have very good cardiologists that can take of you if anything happens and even do this procedure if you need it.

There are medications that can can be given for psvt, i think if you are going to be in China for a short period of time, may be it is a good idea to have them and when you come back, may be you should think about having this procedure.

Thank you very much for using our website and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us