Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Ruptured Tendinae

LisaT - Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:00 pm

If you have a ruptured tendinae in the heart, can you feel it? As it is flailing about in there, if you can't feel it, why not? It seems like it would be an irritant?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:48 pm

User avatar Hi there -- The few people I've encountered who've had ruptured chordae tendonae weren't aware anything specific had happened. They did all experience symptoms, ranging from shortness of breath to lightheadedness to simple fatigue, but none were aware something had mechanically gone haywire. I also find this surprising, or at least I did the first time. It usually comes apart at the far end, where connnected to the papillary muscle, so flailing is definitely the right descriptor, but since the heart muscle has minimal sensory receptors (surprised? Me too) it may not "feel" this even though there is something "loose" in there.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as necessary.