Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Second opinion - chest infection

gr1701 - Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:22 am

Hello -
About 3 years ago I had some bouts of diziness (as in faint, not room spinning) I never actually fell over, just had spells of feeling that I would.
I had check on ears and BP (which was a little high but put down to White Coat Syndrome after 24 hour monitor) and I was tentatively diagnosed with 'Menieres'

These symptoms thankfully decreased. Then abiut a year ago tey returned while on holiday, not as bad but noticable.

Then about 10 months ago I started to experience some chest pains for a couple of weeks and then I had one night of absolute agony. My chest was 'tight' (middle of chest) and my breathing felt a little heavy and laboured. There were however no pains on left arm/shoulder or back (Thankfully!).
I went to see the doctor the next day after a horrible night and he could find nothing wrong with an initial diagnosis - possible it was a stomach ulcer. However, I went to see another doctor who gave me an ECG (trace) which was okay but had one part of the tract that was a little high - he said it may be pressure on my heart.

I then went to see a cardiologist who said it may be an infection and he gave me an echo and said that he believed that I had a viral infection in my paracardium and it had put pressure on my heart and bruised it slightly.

This all took about 4 weeks.

While I am now much better, I still get some chest pains and a sudden 'stitch' pain either down the lower left of my 'left pec' or to its right. The menieres is occasional but currently in remision (and long may it be).

I was just wondering if there was any advise of if I should get checked out again or if there is any medication I could ask about (I have not taken any meds for this at all). The 'natural shop' suggested bee propigate I think, supposed to be a natural antibiotic but needs to see a docotr before taking if have chest problems.

Any advice appreciated.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:37 pm

User avatar Dear gr1701,

You most probably had pericarditis which is inflammation of the pericardium and it is usually caused by a virus. Pericarditis is usually treated with over the counter pain relievers and anti-inflammtory medications such as ibuprofen and the like.

It is not a bad idea to have a follow-up appointment to make sure that everything is in order, but i don't think that there is any problem from the symptoms that you mentioned.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us