Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Chest discomfort/tightness

Shannonatsea - Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:27 pm

I'm new here and figured it was the next best to seeing a Dr. I don't have health insurance at the time and that has kept me from a Dr visit. I havent confided this discomfort to anybody, don't want to worry my children. Here recently I've been experiencing severe chest tightness and discomfort that has even been waking me up at night. I feel as though its difficult to breath or it feels as though I've just ran several miles. Last time I was ill I was told 2yrs ago that my blood pressure was extremely high. Is there anything I can do at home to help diminish this discomfort?? Sometimes I'm almost afraid to go to sleep at night. I'm over weight and decided to enroll with weight watchers in hopes this chest pain will just go away. I'm 41 years old.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:44 am

User avatar Dear Shannon,

To be able to judge whether or not this chest pain might be due to coronary disease, major risk factors for coronary disease and the characterisitics of the chest pain (as compared to those of the chest pain caused by coronary disease) have to be assessed and then the probability of this pain being due to coronary disease is determined.

i am not sure about your major risk factors for coronary disease, what did you do regarding your high blood pressure? Have you ever checked it again?

How about when you do any kind of exercise? How long does the pain usually last? Do you have any other symptoms in addition to the shortness of breath?

The best thing to do is to be checked out by a health care professional for this chest pain the first time you get chest pain.

If you live in a mid-sized or bigger town, most probably there will be some free clinics affiliated with religious organizations, i suggest that you try and find one around.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and waiting for your update.